Professor Dendy's favorite quote:

"If it dies, it's biology; if it blows up, it's chemistry;

if it doesn't work, it's physics!" - John Wilkes

As quoted from grafitti on a bathroom wall.

Search Engine

Custom Search

Monday, March 29, 2010

The skeptics strategy...


Skeptics, atheists, evolutionists, non-theists all use a similar strategy when trying to proffer the idea that God is simply a figment of man's imagination. Their general tactic is to try to discredit believers by throwing everything at them even the "kitchen sink" or better yet the "lab sink".

For example, blog reader, Rob Smith, who is apparently an Englishman, went so far as to call American River College. Here's what he had to say in two different emails to me:

"Why does your institution say it doesn't know about you when I ring them up?"

and in the other he said: "When I asked them they said that they don't regard you as a professor, associate or otherwise. And they said they haven't employed you for a couple of years."

Now anybody in their right mind (except of course "freethinker" Rob Smith would say that those two statements are contradictory...

in the first statement Smith says "Why does your institution say it doesn't know about you...?" and in the second email he says, "When I asked them they said that they don't regard you as a professor, associate or otherwise. And they said they haven't employed you for a couple of years."

The assumption is that they were talking about me, but why, pray tell, would they say they didn't know anything about me? And they say, oh yeah, he was employed a couple of years ago... now how does that make sense?

Well, let me answer that for you... either Smith is lying (which I doubt) or he is just plain stupid (which I believe is right on target!) because he probably talked to some Federally funded work study student that had no idea who or what he was talking about and didn't care. Let's see, out of 1235+ professors at that college alone, I could be hard to locate.

Oh, by the way, to clarify matters for the brilliant researcher Rob Smith, I sent him all the class that I taught at ARC through Fall 2009 including the section numbers).

So could there be more believers among the faculty at our colleges and universities? You betcha! Will they come out of the woodwork to let it be known... probably not!

11 comments:

  1. Only a contradiction when taken out of context. If you haven't already forgotten, the last email I sent you said, among other things:

    "They [two people in the personnel department at arc] both stated, repeatedly, that they have no record of a Professor Dendy. One denied that [Dendy has] worked there at all and the other said that a 'mr' Mark Dendy worked there a couple of years ago."

    I made two different enquiries on two different occasions and got slightly different answers each time. I explained this to Professor Dendy. Of course, in DendyLand there's no such thing as context.

    I haven't contradicted myself on this matter. Aaaaannnnddddd.....delete.

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, Professor Dendy, you know that I didn't speak to a student because I told you otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is also interesting that you think this is a 'tactic'. It isn't. There's nothing to discuss.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I get it... so you are Rob Smith or perhaps his personal secretary? So, you called the personnel department at ARC... I am surprised to know they have one! All personnel matters are handle through the Los Rios Community College District. And did you "query" as you put it, giving them course section numbers? I believe I did provide those to you.

    You seem to be, latsot, or Rob Smith, or whoever you are on a sort of "witch hunt"... wait, I mean "christian-professor hunt."

    I always thought you long nosed Brits were a bit queer!

    Anyway, If I don't respond to your endless comments in a timely matter, just realize that I am busy writing my new book on - you guessed it - "Skepticism's origins!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. "So, you called the personnel department at ARC"

    Yes, as you already know because I emailed you about it before you made any comments here.

    "All personnel matters are handle through the Los Rios Community College District."

    Perhaps that's who I spoke to. I don't know. I just called the switchboard.

    "And did you "query" as you put it, giving them course section numbers? I believe I did provide those to you."

    Yes you did....after I had already called them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. fine. just close comments on your blog again. nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What do you mean? "fine. just close comments on your blog again. nice work."

    I haven't closed the comments on this or any blog... you are a bloody raving lunatic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OK, I got a weird message when I posted that last comment saying that comments were closed. Apparently this isn't true, odd. However, you are simply lying when you say you haven't closed comments on this or any other blog. You have closed comments entirely on your other blog and did so some time ago. You have deleted all the comments people previously made on that blog and this one. And *I'm* the raving lunatic?

    ReplyDelete
  9. "I haven't closed the comments on this or any blog..."

    Don't you understand that everyone knows this is a lie? Have you forgotten your post about closing comments so that people with things to say could email you instead? And your promise that you would feature some of those emails after having first defused those emails? Which you never did? Or that you have dishonestly deleted many of your own posts and even more comments?

    Will you allow this comment or will it - like so many - fester in your inbox while you pretend that misrepresenting other people's views is what jesus would want you to do?

    I'm not sure he wanted you to lie. Even - perhaps especially - in his name. Come clean. Stop deleting posts. Stop deleting comments. Allow your views to be subject to proper criticism, since you have no doubt about them.

    Or do your usual and delete the posts you don't like. Dishonestly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Perhaps we can talk on my blog, where I will not delete comments.

    ReplyDelete